Tuesday 3 August 2010

The quest for summer trousers

I’ve been thinking about getting a new pair of summer trousers for a while. Something loose, that can be casually rolled up at the ankle, that works dressed up with a blazer or dressed down just with a t-shirt. The need for summer trousers became very clear when yet again this week I’ve been sweating in a woollen pair!

I’m thinking of a look along the lines of this from Club Monaco (one of my favourite stores when I’m in the USA or Canada...still rueing not buying the tie-dye, wooden framed clutch when I was in NYC in May!).



I was tempted a few months back with a pair of fire-engine red, high-waisted chinos from Cos. I never tried them (as I was desperately trying not to spend any money!) and I was also not convinced that I could carry them off in red. They were quite voluminous and lots of red fabric around the arse area is a difficult look to work...and requires a lot of arse confidence!

I think Cos have now done them in black, which I’m tempted to try as that’s a little easier to wear.

I’ve seen some mint green (some would say pistachio!) chinos in American Apparel which look relaxed and summery but the price tag is £62...and I think that’s a bit much as the quality doesn’t look great.

Last week I tried a pair of Whistles olive green jersey harem style trousers...which just left me confused! I see other people wearing harem style trousers and they can look great. A friend of mine has a purple pair of cropped harems which look amazing. But every time I’ve tried some on I’m just not sure – the gusset confuses the hell out of me!(Very pleased to have finally introduced the word 'gusset' to the blog!!!)

But that’s the difficulty with all trouser purchasing...it takes a lot of trying on to get the pair that suddenly says ‘ta-dah’...nice fit, arse/hips/legs looks good, no belly overhang, comfortable...the holy grail of trousers!

The In Style website has a feature on ‘transeasonal’ trousers some of which caught my eye, such as the Mango pair.



And Topshop has a really pretty pair in ‘sorbet orange' which I’m tempted to buy just for the colour description!


Unfortunately, trying to buy a pair of trousers is going to take a day of trying on all of these and more...and probably failing and coming home with yet another pair of shoes! But I need to persist because not only do I need a summer pair, but everything points to the rise of the trouser again this A/W...as seen in Vogue!



p.s. moving into autumn, Gap has released it’s capsule ‘premium pant’ collection of seven key styles...all from £35-£45!

And for a very on-trend trouser, these from Reiss in camel...Chloe and Celine rolled into one!

And finally, if you fancy the Houlihan trend without paying the £245 price tag, the Telegraph has found an alternative...in Asda!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...